WordPress 4.7.3 is now available. This is a security release for all previous versions and we strongly encourage you to update your sites immediately.
WordPress versions 4.7.2 and earlier are affected by six security issues:
- Cross-site scripting (XSS) via media file metadata. Reported by Chris Andrè Dale, Yorick Koster, and Simon P. Briggs.
- Control characters can trick redirect URL validation. Reported by Daniel Chatfield.
- Unintended files can be deleted by administrators using the plugin deletion functionality. Reported by TrigInc and xuliang.
- Cross-site scripting (XSS) via video URL in YouTube embeds. Reported by Marc Montpas.
- Cross-site scripting (XSS) via taxonomy term names. Reported by Delta.
- Cross-site request forgery (CSRF) in Press This leading to excessive use of server resources. Reported by Sipke Mellema.
Thank you to the reporters for practicing responsible disclosure.
Download WordPress 4.7.3 or venture over to Dashboard → Updates and simply click “Update Now.” Sites that support automatic background updates are already beginning to update to WordPress 4.7.3.
Subscribe to get new posts in your mailbox.